You will need:
3 pounds - Fresh Pork Belly, skin removed
1 recipe - Brine for Pork, See Recipe
1 tablespoon - Famous Dave’s Rib Rub
1 each - Onion, peeled and chopped
2 stalks - Celery, chopped
2 each - Carrot, chopped
2 cloves - Garlic, peeled, whole
3 cups - Chicken Stock
As needed - Famous Dave’s Sassy Chipotle sauce
1/2 head - Green Cabbage, shredded
1 recipe - Jalapeno Pickled red Onions, See Recipe
Toasted fresh Hard Rolls
- Place fresh Pork belly into Ziploc bag and pour brine over. Seal bag and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Pre – heat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 1 tbls of olive oil in a heavy bottom ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Remove pork belly from brine and pat dry. Season both sides with Famous Dave’s rib rub. Add pork belly to skillet and brown both sides, out 10 – 15 minutes. Remove belly to plate.
- Pour of all but 2 tbls of fat. Add vegetables and cook until they are tender and beginning to brown. Return Pork belly to skillet, fat side up. Add 2 cups of chicken stock. It will surround the belly but not cover. Bring to a simmer and place in oven for 1 hour. Add remaining chicken stock and cook for additional I hour or until fork tender.
- Remove from oven and allow pork to cool in braising liquid. Remove pork from skillet. Score the fat, making crosshatch incisions.
- Increase the oven to 400 degrees. Strain the liquid, discarding the vegetables. Return liquid to skillet, and skim off the fat. Return pork to skillet and transfer to oven and cook for 20 additional minutes till fat is nicely browned.
- Slice pork belly in ¼” slices and place on toasted buns. Top w/ cabbage, jalapeno pickled red onions and sassy chipotle sauce.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Shelf life: 3 days
You will need:
1 pound - Red Onions, slice in 1/8” strips
1 each - Jalapeno, split lengthwise and sliced in strips
3 cups - Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup - Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon - Thyme, ground
1/2 teaspoon - Kosher Salt
- Place cider vinegar, brown sugar, thyme and salt in sauce pot. Heat until brown sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over Red Onion and jalapeno, mix well. Place into plastic container. Label, date and refrigerate.